Yield 2 portions
- 1 egg yolk and 1 whole egg
- 60g of butter
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 150g spinach
- Bread for the toast
- Salt and pepper
- 4 eggs (2 per person) to poach
- Ham (or grilled parma ham)
- Wilted spinach
- Get a mug and place some cling film over the top, oil the cling film slightly and create a pocket to break two eggs into. Tie with a tight knot. Watch Jamie if you are unsure of what I mean.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and then reduce to a medium simmer. Poach the eggs in water for about 2.5 mins for a soft yolk.
- Meanwhile, to make the sauce, put the egg yolk, 50g of butter and half a tablespoon of cold water into a pan over a low heat stir and whisk continuously for 8mins.
- Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the lemon juice.
- Wilt the spinach with some butter in a frying pan.
- Toast the bread and assemble with the wilted spinach, egg and sauce on top.
- This recipe makes a small amount sauce as I find too much, too rich. But if you are cooking for friends and family and want to make more Jamie doesn't recommend making the sauce and reheating it. Instead he suggests making it and keeping it warm in a preheated thermos flask.
- I'm still searching for the perfect method to poach an egg.
- I like using Jamie's 'magic' poaching method which uses clingfilm. Jamie suggests poaching a double yolk egg for 8.5mins but I found I had boiled my eggs! I'm still experimenting.
Recipe by Can Kim Cook at http://www.cankimcook.co.uk/512-2/