Overnight oats are my favourite breakfast. I love experimenting with the different variations and when I came across a recipe for carrot cake overnight oats I was really excited. When I made these for my flatmate Shalini she was quite skeptical, carrot – in a breakfast? She thought I was mad but now she loves overnight oats as much as I do. This recipe is naturally very sweet and comforting and the cinnamon and spices makes it feel far more indulgent than it actually is. I really hope you like this recipe as much as I do.
Carrot cake overnight oats
Yield 1 serving
- 40g porridge oats (about 1/3 cup)
- 150ml milk (about 2/3 cups)
- 1/4 tsp of cinnamon or mixed spice
- A pinch of ground ginger
- Half a medium sized carrot (about 40g)
- Small handful of raisins, pumpkin seeds and pecans
- Maple syrup or honey (if you have a really sweet tooth!!)
- Granola adds a nice texture to the dish, but you don't need it.
- Peel and grate the carrot
- In a tupperware mix together everything - stir well and leave in the fridge overnight
- In the morning stir well and top with anything you fancy. I quite like to top mine with granola
The 40g of porridge to 150ml of milk is my base for most overnight oats. There are so many variations that you can make with this as the base and I'm looking forward to posting more variations online throughout summer.