My family come from Bulawayo where owning a waffle iron is almost mandatory. These waffles are not like the ones you put in the toaster in the UK. These are light, fluffy and best enjoyed with syrup and ice cream!
- 6oz plain flour
- 3oz of melted butter
- 1.5 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tbsp of caster sugar
- 500ml milk
- 2 eggs
- Sift the flour into a bowl, add the remaining dry ingredients and mix.
- Separate the eggs, and beat the whites until stiff.
- Beat together the yolks and the milk.
- Mix together the flour, milk and yolks.
- When the mixture is smooth, fold in the egg whites.
- Cook in a waffle iron.