Yield 3 medium sized jars
- 500g raisins
- 500g sultanas
- 450g apples
- 225g butter
- 350g dark brown sugar
- 50g chopped almonds
- 2 oranges (zest & juice)
- 2 lemons (zest & juice)
- 4 tsp mixed spice
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 6 tbsp brandy
- Core and chop the apples - leaving the skin on
- Cube the butter and add everything (excluding the brandy) into a large bowl
- Cover the bowl with foil and leave overnight to let the fruit soak up all the spices
- On day two place the mixture into two trays
- Preheat the oven to 120°C oven
- Add both trays to a preheated oven and stir every 30 mins or so for two hours.
- Take out of the oven, leave to cool and then add the brandy.
- Store in sterilised jars.
- When you come to bake with your mincemeat, if you find your mix a little dry try adding some boiling water to the jar and leave to soak until you get a consistency that you're happy with.
There are a few different ways to sterilize your jars. I really like this blog post by The Spruce. I like to sterilize my jars in the oven.
Recipe by Can Kim Cook at http://www.cankimcook.co.uk/how-to-make-your-own-christmas-mincemeat-recipe/