Nana's carrot cake
- 240g self raising flour
- 1 cup of rapeseed, olive oil or hazelnut oil
- 240g brown sugar
- 3 cups of peeled and grated carrot (about 4 large carrots)
- 4 medium eggs
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 handful of raisins and any chopped nuts, my favourite is pecan
- 175g cream cheese
- 450g icing sugar, sifted
- 125g unsalted butter (room temperature)
- Grated orange zest
- Begin by preheating the oven to 180°C and grease a medium sized cake tin with butter. Any shape will do, I quite like a square cake tin, my mum makes her in a ring.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- Add the oil and stir everything together.
- Slowly add in one egg at time then add the grated carrots, nuts and raisins.
- Bake for 45mins - check the cake by inserting a skewer, if it comes out clean the cake is done.
- Let the cake cool down before you remove it from the tin.
I don’t feel that carrot cake needs icing, but if you fancy being indulgent the primrose bakery recipe for orange cream cheese icing is beautiful!
- To make the icing combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy (this can take a few minutes)
- Cream cheese icing needs to be kept, covered in the fridge
Recipe by Can Kim Cook at http://www.cankimcook.co.uk/nanas-carrot-cake/